Sunday, November 15, 2009

Why Raymond David?

I wrote this in my personal journal today and wanted to share it. I hope it will help you all better understand why I made this blog.

"Last night and today I setup the blog Raymond David. I set it up while thinking about my father. It made me feel good to remember him. Lara, Ben and Whitney all signed up with the blog today. I was surprised how fast I got a response when I sent out the invitations. I hope the blog will allow all of us to record our memories of Dad so that we can get to know him a little better even though he is gone.

I feel like I never got to say goodbye to him. It was really hard for me the day that Jon called me with the news. I got a message from Jon, and as soon as I heard his voice, I knew that Dad had died. I always felt like I didn't see him that often after Mom and Dad were divorced, and most of the time it feels the same way. Like I just haven't seen him in a while. Last night, while setting up the blog, I realized that it has already been 7 years. I guess I don't worry too much because I know that I will see him again. There really is no doubt in my mind that I will see him again.

It is sad for me though, because I felt like I never got to really know him when I was young. By the time I really could have, it was too late. Maybe that is why I felt prompted to setup the blog... so I could get to know him better, through those that knew him most.

Even though he did a lot of awful things, I am thankful that my mother always helped me see the good in him. Even when she wanted to kill him she always said, "He has a lot of good points."

I don't know you very well now Dad. But I know I will one day. I love you."

1 comment:

  1. The line "The hearts of the children turn to their fathers" comes to my mind as I read your thoughts here. Take it a step farther and help him connect with more of his family through getting their work done too. I bet we'd be surprised at how much goes on on the other side and how much they need us. I think the promptings we get about our beloved dead ones (that sounds funny) are totally inspired by them. Maybe your dad is shaking you trying to get you to do some family connecting. Or to go shower naked in the rain gutter.

    ReplyDelete